While sitting isn’t quite as bad as smoking, there are a host of health complications that it increases the risk of.
-Back and Neck Pain
If you have a desk or other sedentary job think about how much you sit every day. It could be 90% of the time you’re awake!
Standing has been shown to increase your resting metabolic rate by as much as 2x when compared to sitting. This is why sitting contributes to obesity.
Here’s a bit of advice from Dr Rachel Schumate.
This is what the Mayo Clinic recommends.
- Take a break from sitting every 30 minutes.
- Stand while talking on the phone or watching television.
- If you work at a desk, try a standing desk — or improvise with a high table or counter.
- Walk with your colleagues for meetings rather than sitting in a conference room.
- Position your work surface above a treadmill — with a computer screen and keyboard on a stand or a specialized treadmill-ready vertical desk — so that you can be in motion throughout the day.
By following this basic advice you can live a happier, healthier life!